Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Del.icio.us leaves me with a bad taste

*DANGER* RANTING ALERT *DANGER* RANTING ALERT *DANGER* RANTING ALERT

Appropriately, Step #13 is about tagging. Here is my thoughts about tagging (aka bookmarking): I don't like them.

Sure, I use them, but I find tagging to be too unstructured for my taste. I mean, when I enter a tag, I don't know if I need to make it singular or plural, does it even matter? What about English spelling versus American standard? Is someone checking spelling? Am I using the most effective term possible? Do I need synonyms? Or a hierarchy? If I use initials or an acronym, is there someway others will know what it means?

I think tagging needs to be rethought. Why not create a central website with links from Blogs, Flickr, etc. that will be like wikipedia, moreover dmoz (an open directory project) where everyone can contribute and edit existing entries, create and edit hierarchies or taxonomies, and/or create a controlled vocabulary. This way we can avoid the issues I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

For step #13 we focused on Del.icio.us, a popular social bookmarking website. The good news about Del.icio.us is that it is popular so we have a good start for a site we can use to make a standardized tagging protocol. Plus, it is easy to use. Once you have an account, you can link a website to Del.icio.us and start making tags. Most importantly, Del.icio.us will help you choose tags and allow you to make your own.

A good start, but it still does not answer all of my questions. Furthermore, would someone explain why there is all this emphasis on blogger names? Am I supposed to know and/or recognize people by their user name and somehow realize he or she is an authority?

Okay, breathe. Hopefully, step #14 and/or #15 will be of some help.

No comments: