Monday, December 18, 2006

This thing called LibraryThing

LibraryThing lets you create your own catalog of books. It is easy to use. Simply enter the title, or author, or ISBN and LibraryThing will search Amazon or over 75 libraries including the Library of Congress to find the book. You can choose the amount of information that is entered including tags, reviews, and ratings.

I really liked this site. I especially enjoyed the Fun Statistics about myself and the Tag Cloud, Author Cloud, and Author Gallery. But I am not totally convinced on the free-form tags. I would think a good controlled vocabulary would work nicely here. After all, they are pulling from Amazon and libraries. I would think they could take the information from one of these sources. Plus, you cannot search a book by the ISBN, which seems quite odd to me. All well, maybe sometime down the line they can do something about this.

Click here for the first of my entries.

Unfortunately for bibliophiles, you can only add 200 books without paying for an account.

When I entered the first book I used the Tags to Add option, but when I checked my list after I finished, the tags were not there. Plus, the icons on the Recently Added list do not tell you what they are, not even with a mouse rollover.

I can see myself using this site and I hope others will too.

No comments: